Former Minister (2010 – 2016)
The Brazilian Ministry of the Environment
1) Academic Background
• Ph. D. and M.Sc. in Energy Planning, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro
• Specialist in Environmental Management, Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Licensing, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro
• B.Sc. in Biological Sciences, University of Brasilia
2) Professional Experience
• Co-Chair International Resource Panel – IRP/UNEP (since 2017)
• Senior Fellow for Land Use and Climate Change of Brazilian Center for International Relations – CEBRI (since 2017)
• Executive Director of New Tracks Environment and Development Consultancy (since 2017)
• Minister of the Environment of Brazil (since 2010 – 2016, May.)
• Deputy Minister of the Environment of Brazil (2008-2009)
• Undersecretary for the Environment, Chief of Staff, Task Leader of the Clean-up Program of the Guanabara Bay of Rio de Janeiro State Secretary for the Environment (2006-2008).
• Environmental Analyst of the Ministry of Environment (1984-2016)
3) International Expertise
• Head of the Brazilian Delegation on negotiations of the Paris Agreement of the UN Convention on Climate Change.
• Member of the High Level Panel on Global Sustainability of UN´s Secretary General
• Member of the High Level Panel on the Post-2015 Development Agenda of UN´s Secretary General.
• Key leader of Rio+20 Conference on Sustainable Development.
• Head of the Brazilian Delegation on negotiations of the Convention on Biological Diversity.
• Head of the Brazilian Delegation on negotiations of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change and of BASIC countries (Brazil, South Africa, India and China).
• Head of the Brazilian Delegation on the Minamata Convention on Mercury.
4) Outstanding Award
• Champions of the World award for Policy Leadership of the United Nations Environment Program (2013).